Monday, November 9, 2015

Record Keeping

It can be a challenge to know what to keep and what to toss.  The law for independent schools in Colorado says something like "you must provide instruction in: reading, writing, speaking, mathematics, history, civics, literature, science, and constitution."  It is a good idea to keep samples of all the above for each school year.  This would include reading lists, reports, and tests/evaluations. Attendance and immunization records in Colorado are a must keep.




I recently had to go through our records, which I keep in three-ring binders.  Personally, I enjoyed seeing things that my child was interested in: photos, art work, memorabilia.  But honestly it is not necessary to keep that stuff.  Keeping something from the start and finish of your trimester in each subject is a good idea.  Work that was done in your child's hand, not a list or description, is best when possible.


My oldest is graduating from our home this spring and it was so much fun for me to look through her education journey and all we worked on together and how we both grew up together.  Your records tell a story.  Your story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Our charity organization is helping orphans in Ukraine. In case you are interested, I am leaving a link here https://hopenowusa.org Sorry, for my commenting here.