Monday, October 26, 2015

Thoughts About Math




Math and I have a love/hate relationship.  We always have.  I understand math concepts, but I struggle to make what I know and the numbers come out correctly.


I am the worst math teacher and when we found Math-U-See it was welcomed with open arms.  It worked well for my oldest, but not for my middles. Now we are doing Teaching Textbooks for my middle and high school students, Think-Well for calculus, and myy elementary students are currently doing Singapore. In the past we have done Miquon and Life of Fred and love them both.  

We are finishing up break and a few of my students needed to do some math during our break.  Now I am faced with how to handle it not getting done and my responsibility as their teacher.

It is my job to inspire, to create the environment in which learning happens.  It is my job to follow up and help my student see his or her lesson through. I have not done either during break and it is also the reason we needed to do math during break.  I need to take responsibility.


It is my students responsibility to do their best.  To try to do what is put before them.  To ask questions.  To always take a step forward no matter how slow.  They need to take responsibility also.

How do I deal with this situation? I don't know.  I am working through it.  I will begin to address my short comings first and do my best to encourage my students as well.  I will check how our curriculum is working for my child and how I can make it fun and interesting.  I need to address my use of time during math.  Am I connecting with my student? Do we need more time together each day?

I have tried many thing over the years to get math done.  No video games till your math is done. You must stay at the table till it is finished.  Etc, etc.  None of it worked and I and my child have become frustrated in the process.

Time for something new.  Lets take time to find the root of the problem.  Let’s learn.  Let’s enjoy the process. We will do math everyday in some form.  I believe that is important.  I guess that is the plan after all.


One thing I have learned is that education is not one-size-fits-all.  That is why I love homeschool.



No comments: