Thursday, October 15, 2015

The Extras


  

I attended a homeschool meeting recently about “extracurricular activities and how to stay sane.”  It is always wonderful to meet with other homeschoolers and have discussions.  It helps me think through my whys and also challenges me.  

I am in a funny place because I have high schoolers whose activities are pretty much set and littles who have yet to enter the world of classes and activities.  I get to see it from both places.

All the extras we add into life are very personal.  Everyone and every family is different.  I don't play softball because I am really bad at it and don't enjoy it.  Other people love it and choose to give up time and energy for it.  We all have things that have to be done.  The extras are just that, extra, and they must make our hearts sing.

For an extracurricular activity to be worthwhile, you have to love it and see value in it.  Seeing the joy in my kids faces with their extras helps me to stay sane.  It is no longer a chore when they are doing what God created them to do to bring glory to him.  

I dance.  I love dancing.  It brings joy and beauty to my life.  It is a way that my soul breathes.  My hope is that everyone finds their dance.  Right now in our house that is writing, running, snowboarding, dancing, photography, baseball, film making, and musical theater.  In the future we will likely be adding football and basketball.  And hopefully art classes.  


“God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure. ” 
― Eric Liddell

1 Cor 10:31 So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.


Answering the questions?

How do I pick an activity for my kid?  
Just try one and listen to your child.  You will know when you find it. 

How do I add one more thing?  
There is an ebb and flow to life.  Ride the waves, don’t fight them.  Only you know what is good and helpful to your family.  As your kids get older, they get busier. But it is important for them to forge connections with adults who can write recommendation letters for them for college applications and scholarships.  Driving kids around isn’t bad, even though it doesn’t look like fun and is tiring. Driving time is a great time to talk, learn and just get to know your kids better.  It is something I will alway treasure as a mom, and will look back on with fondness.  Even sitting in the car for an hour with little ones once a week.  

There aren’t really answers on this topic because we are all so different.  God has called each of us to do different things.  He has given us different gifts.  He has put us into the family he chose for us.  Listen to the Holy Spirit and trust that God has this.  He is faithful and loves you and your children.  

As a teacher
`
I am a ballet teacher.  It is wonderful to see the joy on my students faces in class.  When they work hard at something and get it.  Sometimes it takes time.  But when it finally clicks it is exciting.  If you have difficulty or questions with an activity, talk to your coaches and teachers before you pull the plug.  They have insight in the situation.  I love that a parent would be willing to share their child with me so I can help them grow and learn and share my love for dance with them.  
















No comments: