Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Chai



Serves 4

Ingredients

1 cinnamon stick 
6 whole green cardamom pods 
6 whole cloves 
1 teaspoon ginger root, thinly sliced 
6 whole black peppercorns 
3 cups water 
1 tablespoon loose black tea 
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar 
1 cup soy milk

Method


In a mortar and pestle, crush cinnamon, cardamom, and cloves. Place spices in a small saucepan, add water, ginger and peppercorns into a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let steep for 10 minutes. 

Return pot to the heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea, cover and set aside to let steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, then return liquid to the pot. Stir in sugar and milk and heat over low heat for 1 minute. Pour into cups and serve.

I have been drinking homemade chai every morning since the miscarriage.  Josh made it for me the first few mornings.  I have taken it over, changing the recipe a little each day trying to make it Julianna perfect.  Do any of you make chai?  If you do will you share your secrets with me?  
Making and drinking Chai is one of the many gifts God has provided me.  He is good, He is faithful and loves his daughter and has provided me with many blessings in the midst of hurt. 
I want to share one blessing he gave me yesterday.
"Sometimes we look out at our lives and it seems the garden is empty – plans dead as withered leaves, dreams laid waste. Could we rejoice in the season of waiting, believing that God who brought Jesus out of the black tomb and brings green shoots out of hard earth will bring new life out of all dark seasons too? Could we know that beauty is in this whole process, the waiting part too, not just the end result?"
Katie from her blog the Journey

1 comment:

Rosalinda said...

Sounds delicious. I'll have to start experimenting with it. I just love good tea. I look forward to it every morning.